Wednesday, April 6, 2011

One year wrapup: contractor work items

You might expect this to be a negative post given the title, but I actually don't mean it that way. :) Our contractor Paul had naturally moved on to other jobs, but he did ask me after we moved in to send him our punchlist. I didn't mind this since it would give us a little bit of time to get familiar with the house which would make it easier to detect issues. I think we took about six weeks or so and ended up with a list of ~30 items. All of them were final-finish type items; here's a few for example:

1. Master bathroom door casing needs to be replaced with one piece (currently it is split and made of two pieces)
2. Casing for garage man-doors needs to be finished
3. Finish trim-out on front porch support posts
4. Shorten depth of bottom drawer under cooktop so it closes all the way (currently it hits the gas supply line)
(etc, etc - but you see what I mean, just finish type stuff)

I had all of these in a spreadsheet, to make it easy to keep track both for myself and for Paul. After I sent him the spreadsheet, he got his guys back out on a regular basis (one or two at a time, depending on what other jobs they had going on) and they slowly worked through the entire list until it was all done. It was nice - I didn't once feel like we had been forgotten :).

Finally, some of you may remember my ceiling mishap back in January 2010. At the time I felt sick about it, thinking I'd have to pay for a drywall repair after not even being here a month, but Paul went ahead and arranged for it to be fixed - and I didn't have to pay anything! Perhaps he felt bad that the subfloor in the attic had been left in an unsafe condition like that - but whatever his reasons I really, really appreciated it.

Things I'd do differently next time:

1. Nothing :)

No comments:

Post a Comment